Science AliveK-12 Teacher Professional Development and Curriculum
What is STEAM?
Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math = STEAM.
We believe that incorporating arts into our learning practices of STEM, it helps to broaden the participation of underrepresented groups by making STEM more fun, approachable, and creative. Arts integration allows students to learn things in a more open ended way and make them applicable to real life.
Our team has made the push for the inclusion of the arts in STEM and helped form and sit on the Governor’s STEAM Advisory Council’s Integrating Arts & Culture into STEM subcommittee. We also have focused on incorporating STEAM lessons into some of our Green Boxes and most prominently in partnership with the Nevada Museum of Art we started hosting Nevada’s first state-wide STEAM conference for educators with our art community partners.
2021 STEAM Conference
- Feb. 3rd: 4:00 p.m.
- Feb. 5th: 5:00 p.m.
- Feb. 6th: 9 :00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Location: Virtually presented
In 2021, the NV STEAM conference will focus on the theme of Design Thinking. Used across disciplines, the Design Thinking Process is an approach that is critical to developing skills that can translate skills from the classroom to the workforce.
This year’s conference will be presented virtually, allowing educators from across the state to access the workshops as well as a virtual art exhibit. Learn more about the conference here!
2020 STEAM Conference
- In 2020, the NV STEAM conference is focusing on the boundaries in which Art and Technology collide! We will take a deep dive into the ways that artists utilize new technology to change the way the world sees and understands art.
2019 STEAM Conference
- In 2019, the NV STEAM Conference considered ways in which historical practices and the influence of technology allow for innovations in STEAM education. Using digital tools, we launched into a new chapter of STEAM education based on interdisciplinary exploration of the natural world.
- NV STEAM Conference (Reno)
- Partnership with Nevada Museum of Art, The Smith Center, Nevada Arts Council, The Discovery Museum, TESLA, FIRST Nevada, Sierra Nevada Journeys, Sierra Arts Foundation
- Keynotes from: Dr. Beth Ratner and Laurel Roth Hope
- Southern NV STEAM Symposium: Looking Back and Moving Forward (Las Vegas)
- Partnership with Nevada Museum of Art, The Smith Center, UNLV, The Discovery’s Children Museum, The Discovery Museum, Nevada Arts Council, TESLA, Cirque Du Soleil, MGM, Boyd
- Keynote from: Ken Goldberg
2018 STEAM Conference
- A STEAM Teacher Training; Art, Design and Exploration for Creative Innovation (Reno)Partnership with Nevada Museum of Art, The Smith Center, Nevada Arts Council, Sierra Arts Foundation, The Discovery, and the Lied Discovery Children’s Museum
- Keynote from Dr. Charles M. Falco, an experimental physicist best known for his exploration of the relationship between art, physics and humanity, and Robert Beckmann, a renowned artist best known for his paintings entitled The Body of a House.
2017 STEAM Conference
- A STEAM Teacher Training; City Planning, Design, Development and the Human Experience (Reno)
- Partnership with Nevada Museum of Art, The Smith Center, Nevada Arts Council, Sierra Arts Foundation, The Discovery, and the Lied Discovery Children’s Museum
- Keynote from Will Peterson, Burning Man co-founder and Bonnie Sherk a landscape architect that created the Living Library
- Southern Nevada Science Teachers Association Conference- STEAM Education Track
- Partnership with Nevada Museum of Art, The Smith Center, Nevada Arts Council, Sierra Arts Foundation, The Discovery,and the Lied Discovery Children’s Museum
- Keynote from Page Hernandez a multidisciplinary artist with is acclaimed as a performer, director, choreographer and playwright.
Education Program and Curriculum Development Lead
Desert Research Institute
2215 Raggio Parkway
Reno, NV 89512
Office of Education