Follow the research being conducted at the Storm Peak Lab by clicking the images above and then reserve the lab for your project.
Reserving the Storm Peak Lab
The lab can be reserved by any U.S. or international scientiﬁc group or educational institution with needs for high elevation measurements, in-cloud research studies or related education or training.
- Usage Fees
- Available Instrumentation
- Shipping Instructions
- Traveling to Storm Peak
Laboratory Usage Fees
STORM PEAK LABORATORY USAGE FEDERAL & EDUCATION RATE
New Rates Effective 10/1/2016
- Laboratory facility usage $302 per day
- Daily fee (meals & lift ticket) $58 per person per day
- Nightly fee (dinner & lodging at SPL) $73 per person per night
- Research instrument set up $564 per instrument
- Instructional support $99 per hour
- Technical support $68 per hour
- Snow cat transport $825 per day
- Snowmobile usage $50 per day
- Annual space usage - Level 1 $2,393 per year
- Annual space usage - Level 2 $3,465 per year
These rates retire 9/30/2016
- Laboratory facility usage $310 per day
- Daily fee (meals & lift ticket) $36 per person per day
- Nightly fee (dinner & lodging at SPL) $68 per person per night
- Research instrument set up $820 per instrument
- Instructional support $139 per hour
- Technical support $90 per hour
- Snow cat transport $848 per day
- Snowmobile usage $51 per day
- Annual space usage - Level 1 $2,458 per year
- Annual space usage - Level 2 $3,560 per year
Instruments Available at Storm Peak Laboratory
- Multiple TSI Condensation Particle Counters (including ultrafine)
- TSI Nephelometer - 3λ
- PSAP - 3λ
- TSI Nano-SMPS, SMPS & APS
- DMT Cloud Condensation Nuclei (CCN)
- SPP-100 forward scattering spectrometer 2–47 μm
- Cloud Imaging Probe 25–1550 μm
- Precipitation Imaging Probe 100-6200 μm
O3, SO2, CO, NOx Measurements – Thermo Scientific
Water Vapor Isotope – Picarro
Relative Humidity Sensor
De-iced Wind Vane
Shipping Equipment to Storm Peak Laboratory
For shipment of equipment by FedEx or UPS to Storm Peak Laboratory please use the following address.
Please do not request a signature, as this is a secure warehouse.
Storm Peak Laboratory
2540 Copper Ridge Unit #5
Steamboat Springs, CO 80487
Phone: (970) 819-2842
Traveling to Storm Peak Laboratory
Airport services via jet flights on a daily basis are available to Hayden, Colorado (HDN )(40 km from SPL) including non-stop jet service during winter from major cities such as New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles. Year-round commuter flights can also be taken from Denver (DIA)and Colorado Springs (COS), Colorado. Ground shuttle service is available year-round from the Denver International Airport to Steamboat Springs (3.5 hr drive) from Alpine Taxi .
157 miles Northwest of Denver, an easy 3 hour drive. Take I 70 west through the Eisenhower Tunnel to Silverthorne, Exit 205 (67 miles). Take CO 9 North to Kremmling (37 miles), then West on US 40 to Steamboat Springs (53 miles). Alternate Routes if Rabbit Ears Pass is Closed and you’re coming from Denver or Colorado Springs. Proceed past Kremmling, and head west on US 40 until the intersection with CO 134 (6 miles). Turn left and go over Gore Pass (CO 134). At Toponas, take Colorado 131 north to Steamboat Springs (40 miles). Or, take I 70 west (through Vail) until Exit 157. Take CO 131 North to Steamboat Springs (75 miles), then left on US 40 to town (4 miles).
Take CO 14 West, through Poudre Canyon, over Cameron Pass until Walden, CO. Take CO 14 (toward Steamboat Springs) until US 40, and turn right (West) over Muddy and Rabbit Ears Passes to Steamboat Springs.
Take I 70 West through Glenwood Springs and Eagle to Exit 157(117 miles). Take CO 131 North (75 miles) to US 40. Turn left on US 40 to Steamboat Springs (4 miles).
Take WY 230 West (Snowy Range exit) through Mountain Home to the Wyoming/Colorado border, the road changes to CO 127. Stay on CO 127 to Walden. Take CO 14 West to US 40 at Muddy Pass and Rabbit Ears Pass to Steamboat Springs.
Salt Lake City
Take US 40/UT 189 South to Heber City, UT. Stay on US 40, Steamboat Springs is about 5 1/2 hours from Park City.
ACCESSING STORM PEAK LABORATORY ONCE IN STEAMBOAT SPRINGS
Winter: December - April
During the winter (December - April) accessing Storm Peak Lab is easiest via skis and/or snowboard. Thanks to the generosity of the Steamboat Ski and Resort Corporation, Storm Peak Lab receives discounted daily lift tickets for all researchers associated with Storm Peak Lab. The lift hours are from 9 am - 3 pm. We suggest arriving at the base no later than 1 pm for accessing the lab via ski lifts. For non-skiers to access Storm Peak Lab they will need to ride up on a snowmobile, and that is done before the ski resort opens at 8 am and after it closes at 4:30 p.m.
Summer: June - October
During the summer (June - October) Storm Peak Lab is accessible via four wheel drive vehicle. Storm Peak Lab has an agreement to use the dirt road that the Steamboat Ski and Resort Corporation maintains. A vehicle pass is required to travel on this road, and advanced notice is require to obtain the pass. A valid drivers license, vehicle registration,and proof of insurance is required to obtain the pass.
May and November
Accessing Storm Peak Lab in May and November is only possible via snowmobile with the Storm Peak Lab staff.