Student Science Communications Internship Opportunity at DRI
The Desert Research Institute (DRI) has an immediate opening for a motivated intern who would like to learn more about the science communications, public relations, media outreach, online content development and social media.
The communications intern will work directly with DRI’s Communications Officer to tell the story of DRI research and happenings in more than 40 different scientific fields on over 400 projects around the world.
Specific duties will include writing news releases and event announcements, assisting with the development of features and profiles for the DRI website and creating engaging content for distribution through DRI’s monthly email newsletter, key social media channels (@DRIscience) and fundraising platforms.
Intern will also assist with media and website inquiries related to DRI.edu.
Intern should have a strong interest in science communication, journalism, public relations and environmental science. Intern must be able to multi-task in a team environment and be prepared to interact with DRI’s research faculty and graduate students.
- One year completed college work
- Course internship requirement
- Brief interest summary of how the DRI communication/media experience will fulfill your internship requirement (no more than one-page)
- One writing sample
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Working knowledge of leading social media platforms – Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc.
- Introductory knowledge of email newsletter providers – MailChimp, Constant Contact, etc.
Interns will be paid $12/hr. Weekly hours are negotiable. Desired 8-10 hours per week.
Interested students should email resume, interest summary, and one writing sample to:
Phone: (775) 673-7610