DRI has campuses located in both Northern and Southern Nevada, providing a wide variety of opportunities in research science.
Campus Environment Committee
The appointed members of DRI's Campus Environment Committee are to proactively and independently:
- Maintain awareness of the Desert Research Institute's policies and procedures regarding Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity, Diversity Plan, and the provision of a safe and healthy work environment.
- Meet at least twice annually to set goals, review data, and report to the President on accomplishments and needed improvements related to Institute-wide decisions involving employment and compensation.
- Based upon stated business needs, data resources that will be available to the Committee as needed:Request appropriate reports and decision memorandum from Human Resources
All recruitment files and records, which includes data on the ethnicity and gender of applicants, finalists, new hires, and the search committees.
Based on findings of such analyses, apprise the President of the Institute's status in fulfilling its commitment to those policies and procedures, as well as identifying any policies or practices that have or may lead to inequitable treatment or pay of all DRI employees (e.g., faculty, administrators, technologists, and graduate research assistants).
- Recommend to the President any revisions to existing policies, procedures, and programs, or the addition of new policies, procedures, or new programs, that would improve or facilitate improvements in:
A. The ethnic and gender diversity of all DRI appointees;
B. The environmental health and safety of all DRI appointees; and
C. The Institute's non-discriminatory employment practices.
- Measure campus climate through a work satisfaction survey such as the one designed by Collaborative on Academic Careers in Higher Education (COACHE) on rank/promotion, policy, compensation, collegiality, and global satisfaction of employees every three to five years.
- Collaborate with the Faculty Senate, GRAD Association, Technologist Advisory Committee, and the Diversity Officer on any issues or concern involving equal opportunity, affirmative action, diversity, or safe environment.