- National and international scale strategic environmental research planning
- Establishment of national and multi-national partnerships
- Development of multi-scaled environmental monitoring, vulnerability assessments, and spatially explicit scenario analyses
- Application of landscape ecology in assessing and sustaining multiple ecosystem services
- Advanced applications in remote sensing and geographic information systems to monitor and assess environmental conditions at multiple scales
- Arid lands riparian habitats
- Multi-scale analysis of habitat, watershed, and ecological processes via remote sensing, in-situ monitoring data, and spatial modeling
- Regional and national assessments of riparian habitats through combinations of remote sensing and in-situ monitoring data
- Development of statistical models linking biological and ecological measurements from regional and national in-situ monitoring programs with multi-scaled biophysical data, including land cover and land use
- Application of statistical approaches to develop scaling relationships including Classification and Regression Tree
- Quantitative approaches to link multiple ecosystem services to landscape pattern and scale
- Climate-related habitat changes and species divergence and diversity patterns
|Ph.D.||1995||University of Nevada, Las Vegas||Environmental Biology|
|M.S.||1979||New Mexico State University||Ecology|
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Executive Board, International Association for Landscape Ecology (2007- Present)
- President, International Association for Landscape Ecology (2007 - 2011)
- Councilor at Large, U.S. Chapter of the International Association of Landscape Ecologists (2002-2004)
- President, Arizona Chapter of the Wildlife Society (1985)
- Member, American Institute of Biological Sciences
- Member, International Association of Landscape Ecologists (US and International)
- Member, Desert Fishes Council
- Member, Ecological Society of America
- Editorial Board, Ecological Indicators
- Editorial Advisory Board, Landscape Online
Awards and Honors
- Partners in Conservation Award, Department of Interior -- Climate Vulnerability Assessment Guide (2011)
- EPA STAA Award – New York City Drinking Watersheds paper (2007)
- EPA Group Award – Estuaries Monitoring Program (2006)
- EPA Bronze Metal – Regional Vulnerability Assessment Program (2005)
- EPA Silver Metal – Environmental Monitoring and Assessment Program (2002)
- EPA ORD Diversity Award for Management (2001)
- Department of Agriculture Science Team Award - Semi-arid Land-Surface-Atmosphere (SALSA) project (2001)
- EPA Bronze Metal – Mid-Atlantic Integrated Assessment (2000)
- EPA Bronze Metal – Mid-Atlantic Landscape Atlas (2000)
- Twentieth Century Distinguished Service Award (International Statistical Institute) (1999)
- Most Outstanding Ph.D. Dissertation, Nevada University System (1996)
- Most Outstanding Federal Technical Publication (1986)
- Professional Award, the Wildlife Society (1981)
- Federal Executive Services Most Outstanding Federal Employee (Phoenix area) (1981)
- U.S. Department of Interior Unit Citation Award - Wildlife monitoring and assessment (1980)
- International Ecosystem Services Partnership (2008 to present). Contrast, compare, and develop approaches to assess multiple ecosystem services, especially related to spatial modeling.
- Chair, National Earth Observations (NEO) Taskforce Working Group on Biological Diversity (2010-2011)
- Convention on Biological Diversity (2008-2010). US Department of Interior representative to the Convention working with the US State Department
- National Interorganizational Working Group on Climate Smart Assessments and Conservation (2009 – Present). Develop and disseminate methodologies to assess vulnerability of wildlife communities and ecosystems to climate change as well as approaches to adapt to climate change. Chaired by the National Wildlife Federation.
- LandFire Executive Oversight Committee (2006 – Present). LandFire includes national scale databases (derived from spatial data and models) to evaluate fire risk, restoration, and ecosystem performance
- RUBICODE (Rationalising Biodiversity Conservation in Dynamic Ecosystems)Working Group (2006 – 2009). Funded by the EU Sixth Framework Programme involving 23 organizations
- National Phenology Network Implementation Workgroup (2005-2008). National scale implementation of a four-tiered monitoring network, including an extensive citizen science component.
- National Landscape Pattern Working Group, the Heinz Center, Washington, D.C. USA (2002 – 2008). Selection, testing, and delivery of national scale landscape indicator results.
- CENR Subcommittee on Ecological Systems, Washington, D.C. USA (2004 – 2010).
- Western Rangelands Ecosystem Working Group (2003 – 2006). Review of and recommendations for rangeland research for 21 State university programs (land-grant institutions).
- NATO CCMS Landscape Pilot Project (2002 – 2006). Completion of multi-scaled landscape analyses across Europe involving the US, Australia, and 15 European countries.
- Global Land Observation System Working Group, GEOSS, USA (2004 – 2006). Development of regional to global scale protocols to monitor land surface changes.
- Chair, US EPA Committee on Uncertainty in Ecological Risk Assessments (2004-2006). Development of approaches to estimate uncertainty in ecological risk assessments (cross EPA group)
- US EPA Report on the Environment Science Committee, Washington, D.C. USA (1999 – 2002). Delivery of nationally consistent landscape indicators, including national riparian metrics.
- National Habitat Assessment of Breeding Birds Committee, Washington, D.C. USA (1999 – 2001). Protocols to model and assess regional and national patterns of habitats for the Breeding Bird Survey.
- International Committee on Environmental Indices, INENCO (Russia) (1997 – 2003). Development of international standards for environmental indicators and models.
- National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON) Working Group (NSF Funded/AIBS sponsored) (2002 to 2004). White paper on a comprehensive in-situ monitoring network (for Congress).
- GAP Analysis Advisory Group, USA (1992 – 1995). Evaluation and recommendations for multi-scaled habitat modeling approaches and assessments.
- National Forest Health Monitoring Review Committee (1991 -- 1992). Evaluation and recommendations for national forest health monitoring.
- OTA Committee, In-situ Biological Diversity Monitoring Technology (1984 – 1987). Evaluation and recommendations for regional and national scale monitoring of biodiversity, including sampling protocols, indicators and models.
Jones, K.B., G. Zurlini, F. Kienast, I. Petrosillo, T. Edwards, T.G., Wade, B. Li, and N. Zaccarelli. 2013. Informing landscape planning and design for sustaining ecosystem services from existing spatial patterns and knowledge. Landscape Ecology. 28:1175-1192. Link to Publication
Fu, B., and K.B. Jones (eds.). 2013. Landscape ecology for sustainable environment and culture. Springer, The Netherlands. Link to Publication
Zurlini, G., Petrosillo, I, Jones, K.B., Li, B., Riitters, K.H., Medaglie, P., Marchiorie, S., and N. Zaccarelli. 2013. Towards the planning and design of disturbance patterns across scales to counter biological invasions. J. Environmental Management 128:192-203. Link to Publication
Zurlini, G., I. Petrosillo, K.B. Jones, and N. Zaccarelli, 2013. Highlighting order and disorder in social-ecological landscapes to foster adaptive capacity and sustainability. Landscape Ecology 28:1161-1173. Link to Publication
Glick, P., Stein, B.A., and N.A. Edelson (eds). 2011. Scanning the Conservation Horizon:
A Guide to Climate Change Vulnerability Assessment. National Wildlife Federation, Washington, D.C. Publication Pdf
Jones, K.B., E.T. Slonecker, M.S. Nash, A.C. Neale, T.G Wade, and S Hamann. 2010. Riparian habitat changes across the contintental United States (1972-2003) and potential implications for sustaining ecosystem services. Landscape Ecology 25:1261-1275. Link to Publication
Jones, K.B., H. Bogena, H. Vereecken, and J.F. Weltzin. 2010. Design and importance of multi-tiered ecological monitoring networks. Pp. 355-374, in Müller, F., Schubert, H., and Klotz S. (eds), Long-Term Ecological Research. Between Theory and Application, Springer, Berlin, Germany. Link to Publication
Opdam, P., S. Luque, and K.B. Jones. 2009. Changing landscapes to accommodate for climate change impacts: a call for landscape ecology. Landscape Ecology 24:715-721. Link to Publication
Jones, K.B., C.E. Edmonds, T.E. Slonecker, J.D. Wickham, A.C. Neale, T.G. Wade, K.H. Riitters, and W.G. Kepner. 2008. Detecting changes in riparian habitat conditions based on patterns of greenness change: a case study from the Upper San Pedro River Basin, USA. Ecological Indicators 8:89-99. Link to Publication
Jones, K.B., M.S. Nash, T.G. Wade, J. Walker, A.C. Neale, F. Müller, G. Zurlini, N. Zaccarelli, S. Hamann, R. Jongman, S. Nedkov, W.G. Kepner, and C.G. Knight. 2008. Cross-European landscape analyses: illustrative examples using existing spatial data. Pp. 258-316, in Petrosillo, I et al. (eds.), Use of Landscape Sciences for the Assessment of Environment Security. Springer, The Netherlands Link to Publication
Wu, J., K.B. Jones, H. Li, and O.L. Loucks (eds.). 2006. Scaling and Uncertainty Analysis in Ecology: Methods and Applications. Springer, The Netherlands. Link to Publication
Jones, K.B., A.C. Neale, T.G. Wade, C.L. Cross, J.D. Wickham, M.S. Nash, C.M. Edmonds, K.H. Riitters, R.V. O’Neill, E.R. Smith, and R. Van Remortel. 2006. Multiscale relationships between landscape characteristics and nitrogen concentrations in streams. Pp. 205-224, in Wu, J., Jones, K.B., Li, H., Loucks, O.L (eds.), Scaling and Uncertainty Analysis in Ecology: Methods and Applications.Springer, The Netherlands. Link to Publication
Riitters, K.H., J.D. Wickham, R.V. O'Neill, K.B. Jones, E.R. Smith, J.W. Coulston, T.G. Wade, and J.H. Smith. 2002. Fragmentation of Continental United States Forests. Ecosystems 5:815-822. Pdf of Publication
Jones, K.B., A.C. Neale, T.G. Wade, J.D. Wickham, C.L. Cross, C.M. Edmonds, T.R. Loveland, M.S. Nash, K.H. Riitters, and E.R. Smith. 2001. The consequences of landscape change on ecological resources: an assessment of the United States Mid-Atlantic Region, 1973-1993. Ecosystem Health 7:229-242. Publication Pdf
Jones, K.B., A.C. Neale, M.S. Nash, R.D. Van Remotel, J.D. Wickham, K.H. Riitters, and R.V. O’Neill. 2001. Predicting nutrient and sediment loadings to streams from landscape metrics: a multiple watershed study from the United States Mid-Atlantic Region. Landscape Ecology 16:301-312. Publication pdf
Jones, K.B., A.C. Neale, M.S. Nash, K.H. Riitters, J.D. Wickham, R.V. O’Neill, and R.D. Van Remortel. 2000. Landscape correlates of breeding bird richness across the United States Mid-Atlantic Region. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 63:159-174. Link to Publication
Hernandez, M., Miller, S.N., Goodrich, D.C., Goff, B.F., Kepner, W.G., Edmonds, C.M, and K.B. Jones. 2000. Modeling Runoff Response to Land Cover and Rainfall Spatial Variability in Semi-Arid Watersheds. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 64:285-298. Publication pdf
Jones, K.B., T.G. Wade, J.D. Wickham, K.H. Riitters, and C.M. Edmonds.1999.Characterizing forest fragmentation and vulnerability based on patch characteristics. Pp. 359-366, in Aguirre-Bravo, C., and Franco, C.R. (eds.), North American Science Symposium: Toward a Unified Framework for Inventorying and Monitoring Forest Ecosystem Resources. U.S. Forest Service Proceedings RMRS-P-12, Fort Collins, Colorado USA. Publication pdf
Wickham, J.D., K.B. Jones, K.H. Riitters, T. Wade, and R.V. O'Neill. 1999. Transitions in forest fragmentation: implications for restoration opportunities at regional scales. Landscape Ecology 14:137-145. Link to Publication
Wickham, J.D., K.B. Jones, K.H. Riitters, R.V. O'Neill, R.D. Tankersley, A.C. Neale, E.R. Smith, and D.J. Chaloud. 1999. Characterizing cumulative environmental impacts on mid-Atlantic watersheds. Environmental Management 24:553-560. Publication pdf
O'Neill, R.V., C.T. Hunsaker, K.B. Jones, K.H. Riitters, J.D. Wickham, P. Schwarz, I.A. Goodman, B. Jackson, and W.S. Baillargeon. 1997. Monitoring environmental quality at the landscape scale. BioScience 47:513-520. Publication of pdf
Jones, K.B., K.H. Riitters, J.D. Wickham, R.D. Tankersley, Jr., R.V. O’Neill, D.J. Chaloud, E.R. Smith, and A.C. Neale. 1997. An Ecological Assessment of the United States Mid-Atlantic Region: A Landscape Atlas. EPA/600/R-97/130. Link to Publication
Zamudio, K.R., K.B. Jones, and R.H. Ward. 1997. Molecular systematics of short-horned lizards: biogeography and taxonomy of a widespread species complex. Systematic Biology 46:284-305. Link to Publication
Jones, K.B., J. Walker, K.H. Riitters, J.D. Wickham, and C. Nicoll. 1996. Indicators of landscape integrity. Pp. 155-168, in J. Walker and D. J. Reuter (eds.), Indicators of Catchment Health:A Technical Perspective. CSIRO Press, Melbourne, Australia. Link to Publication
Jones, K.B., and B.R. Riddle. 1996. Regional scale monitoring of biological diversity. Pp. 193-209, in Szaro, R.C (ed.), Biodiversity in Managed Landscapes: Theory and Practice. Oxford University Press. Link to Publication
O'Connor, R.J., M. T. Jones, D. White, C. Hunsaker, T. Loveland, B. Jones, and E. Preston. 1996. Spatial partitioning of environmental correlates of avian biodiversity in the conterminous United States. Biodiversity Letters 3:97-110. Link to Publication
Jones, K.B. 1986. Techniques for sampling amphibians and reptiles. Pp. 267-290, in A. Cooperrider (ed.), Inventory and monitoring of wildlife habitat. U.S. Bureau of Land Management, Denver. Link to Publication
Jones, K.B. 1986. Sampling desert habitats. Pp.123-148, in A. Cooperrider (ed.), Inventory and monitoring of wildlife habitat. U.S. Bureau of Land Management, Denver. Link to Publication
Jones, K.B., L.P. Kepner, and T.E. Martin. 1985. Species of reptiles associated with habitat islands in western Arizona: a deterministic assemblage. Oecologia 66:595-601. Publication pdf
Jones, K.B. 1981. Effects of grazing on lizard abundance and diversity in western Arizona. Southwestern Naturalist 26:107-115. Link to Publication