A Look Back in Time

Half a century has passed since a group of visionary scientists, academic leaders and entrepreneurs united with the Nevada Legislature to establish the Desert Research Institute, known today as DRI.

Nevada Revised Statute 396.7951

Signed by Governor Grant Sawyer on March 23, 1959, the bill reflects the Legislature’s intent in the formation of this new research division within the University of Nevada:

NRS 242“To contribute more effectively to the security of the nation and to promote the general welfare of the State of Nevada and its citizens through the development of educational and scientific research …”

Initial financial support from the Max C. Fleischmann Foundation of Nevada helped attract internationally-known scientists and provide them with seed money until they could become self-sufficient through grants and contracts.