GreenPower outreach helps educators teach students about renewable energy, conservation, and sustainability. With standards-aligned tangible tools and professional development this completely free program helps educators bring science-based, green concepts and practices to any preK-12 classroom.
Since its inception in 2000, GreenPower has been the outreach program for the Desert Research Institute. Funded by the generosity of customers who voluntarily add a few dollars each month to their NV Energy electric bill, 100% of the tax-deductible donations support renewable energy education for Nevada’s students. These donations provide numerous resources for GreenPower schools, such as professional development for teachers, educational materials for Green Boxes, and tools for classroom instruction.
The program is focused on educating students across the entire state of Nevada. With GreenPower schools in 10 of Nevada's 17 counties, and more schools being added each month, the benefits of GreenPower are available to any school in the state.
GreenPower Awards and Honors
- 2013 USGBC Nevada LEEDership award presented for outstanding educational organization
- Las Vegas Review Journal “Best Green Nonprofit” 2013
- Golden Pinecone Award 2013- Fayth Ross GreenPower Coordinator for Northern Nevada
- Southern Nevada Science and Math Teacher Association “Friend of Science”- Amelia Gulling, GreenPower Program Administrator
- 2012 Amazing Individual Award, The Nature Conservancy and USGBC- Amelia Gulling, GreenPower Program Administrator
- “Community Partnership” Award from Bridger Middle School 2010-2011